Tuesday 27 July 2010

Tree Hugger

I have been feeling a little disheartened due to a little knock back from Age UK Milton Keynes, who did not want my help. Last week I called to volunteer to help at the lunch clubs for the old folk and sort clothes in the charity shop for 3 weeks, but was told that I wasn't giving enough of my time and for the time it would take to train me and get my references, it wasn't worth it. I couldn't believe it... I only wanted to make tea, which I don't really need training on as I have been making tea for last 20 years! I then started to doubt the whole 'Rosetinted Project'.

However, today I pick myself up and got back on it, looking for other charities that are more than happy for me help.

I have put in an application to the Woodland Trust http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/ who aim to enable the creation of more native woods and places rich in trees; protect native woods, trees and their wildlife for the future and inspire everyone to enjoy and value woods and trees. I am volunteering as a photographer to help continue to build the photographic library, by taking and supplying images to be used in many different way to support the work of the trust.

I have also found a really useful site full of volunteering opportunities in the local area, http://www.volunteering.org.uk/ where you can search using postcode or the type of work you would like to be involved in, giving as little as 2 hours of your time.

I've also registered to help at the Oxjam, Oxfam's biggest ever music festival made up of hundreds of music festivals around the UK during October www.oxfam.org.uk/oxjam/

So I'm feeling a lot more positive after finding lots more opportunities out there and as for the old folk, I'll find some way to help out even if I just make my neighbour a cuppa!

0 comments:

Post a Comment